Serves: 4 people
Preparation: 30 minutes
(Preferably leave the marinade overnight)
Cooking: 1 hour
Total: 1 1/2 hours plus overnight marinade
Ingredients: Chicken Tikka Marinade
- 675g boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp root ginger – peeled & finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves – finely grated & minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for Masala
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large onion – halved & finely diced
- 1 tsp root ginger – peeled & finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves – finely grated
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp yoghurt
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
- 4 tbsp of passata
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup of water if needed
- Start by marinating the chicken. Put the chicken in a bowl and rub in the salt and lemon juice. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Combine the chicken with all of the ingredients for the marinade.
- Mix well, cover and refrigerate for one hour or preferably overnight.
Method: Cooking the chicken
- Turn on the grill to a high heat.
- Put the marinated chicken on the grill rack and space them out.
- Grill until nearly charred on each side, about 7 or 8 minutes in total.
- You will finish the cooking of the chicken in the masala.
- To make the masala mixture, pour 2 tbsp of oil into a large non-stick pan and set on a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, put in the onions. Stir fry until they are brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and continue to fry, stirring for a minute.
- Add the ground coriander, turmeric chilli powder, garam masala, cumin and paprika.
- Add a tablespoon of yoghurt and stir until it is absorbed and continue with the remaining yoghurt with the same process.
- Put in the tomatoes and passata and fry them for four or five minutes, or until they turn soft.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add in the partially cooked chicken
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Once the sauce is thick, stir in the coriander leaves. If it is too thick add some water.
Serve with naan bread, raita and/or rice.