Crispy sea bass fillets with cauliflower purée are a yummy combination. You have crispy sea bass skin and pan fried potatoes matched with a silky smooth cauliflower puree, as well as crunchy cauliflower florets. It’s an exciting dish to make for your loved ones.
If you like this then why not try out this beautiful Thai Salmon Curry as well.
Crispy Sea Bass with Cauliflower Puree
- 1 head Cauliflower washed, trimmed and cut into florets
- 250 milliliters Double Cream
- 2 medium Sea Bass Fillets skin dried and scored
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 400 grams Potatoes sliced one inch thick
- 100 grams Pine Nuts
- 100 grams Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 bunch Basil Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 150 milliliters Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- In order to cook the meal quicker you can put everything on at the same time (if you have the space and frying pans).
- Remove the sea bass fillets from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, to bring them to room temperature.
- Place your cauliflower florets into a pot of hot water and boil until cooked. It should only take 10 minutes. Keep 12 uncooked florets for roasting separately.
- Once cooked, drain the cauliflower and put the cauliflower and cream into the blender. Blend until the cauliflower is creamy and there are no lumps.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Place your spare 12 uncooked florets on a roasting tray at 180 degrees Celsius in the oven and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- They will cook quickly because they are small. Again 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into the same thickness of slice (about one inch thick) so they cook at the same speed and season with salt and pepper.
- Put in a medium hot pan with oil and fry until crispy on both sides. You want them cooked until soft in the middle but with a nice crispy crust on the outside.
- This will take about 10/15 minutes, turn half way through.
- Leave aside on kitchen towel to drain any excess oil.
Sea Bass Fillets
- Take your sea bass fillets out and dry the skin with kitchen towel so it will go crispy.
- Use a knife to score lines through the skin, careful not to cut the flesh, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the frying pan until medium/hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place the sea bass skin side down in the pan and press each fillet down to stop it from curling up.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook undisturbed until the skin is crispy, about 4/5 minutes.
- Turn the fillets over, then fry for about 3/4 minutes until just done. This depends on the size of your fillets. You will see the color of the flesh change as it cooks.
- Leave to rest on a warm plate.
- Fry the pine nuts in a dry pan with no oil until slightly browned.
- Once browned, combine all the ingredients in the blender and blend until it comes together and is smooth.
- Taste then season with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if you want.
Plating The Dish
- Just to note that the pesto and cauliflower puree can be made in advance to make it easier to cook and combine everything.
- Have fun while plating your dish. Place a spoonful of puree first and use a spoon to move it across your plate.
- Place the fried potatoes on top of the puree then the crispy sea bass fillet.
- Garnish with the roasted cauliflower and basil pesto.
- Serve and enjoy with a nice glass of white wine.