When you think of Christmas you think of family, friends and good food. But sadly it can also be a little stressful and cause some anxiety in the house. Now is a great time to collect recipes for Christmas that make the process much easier on yourself. Originally coming from the United States, a good reliable spiced cranberry sauce recipe can be a god send when you are trying to plan a whole menu for Christmas. It goes perfect with turkey, chicken, ham, duck and vegetables. The best part about a cranberry sauce is that you can use it as a sauce or even a glaze for your ham. The recipe below is slightly tart so if you would like it sweeter add some more sugar or honey to get it to your perfect taste. Now, go enjoy your celebrations with the people you love.
Spiced Christmas Cranberry Sauce Tips
- Use within one week of making it so you can experience the best of the freshness.
- You can make it the day before so one less thing to do on the big day.
- Try to get fresh cranberries if possible, but frozen will also do.
- Personally, I wouldn’t freeze cranberry sauce as I think it loses its texture when reheating.
- Play around with the flavor profile, try adding more fruits such as redcurrants or cherries or add a dash of Cointreau to bring out a little bit more of the orange flavor. You can keep this one for the adults or cook off the alcohol so children can have some too.
- You can use honey or stevia instead of sugar if you want a healthier alternative.
- Serve with turkey, ham or even duck. If you leave it a little more tart it cuts through the fat quite nicely.
Christmas Cranberry Sauce
- 320 grams Cranberries fresh or frozen
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ large Orange finely zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 100 ml Water
- Combine all the ingredients except the zest in a saucepan over a medium high heat. Mix well.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the cranberries start to burst. About 7 minutes. If you want some more texture, leave some cranberries whole.
- Add in the orange zest and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the cooled mixture into a bowl, cover and put it in the fridge until you need it.
- If you prefer your cranberry sauce sweeter, add more honey or sugar. If you prefer it runnier, add more liquid such as orange juice or water.