Who could possibly pass on beautiful pan fried lamb chops and creamy mashed potatoes served with a rich blueberry sauce. They’re the perfect lunch or dinner for yourself and your family. Although, blueberry sauce sounds a bit unusual the fruity taste goes perfect with the lamb.
Lamb, Asparagus with Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 4 medium Lamb Rump Chops room temperature and fat scored
- 4 medium Potatoes washed & peeled
- 1 bunch Chives washed & trimmed
- 8 tips Asparagus washed
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Double Cream
- 50 milliliters Red Wine
- 1 medium Shallot finely chopped
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 100 grams Blueberries washed
- 15 grams Sugar
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into halves. Bring a pot of cold salted water to the boil. Add potatoes to the cold water and cook until tender but still firm, about 25-30 minutes depending on size. Drain into a colander and let them steam dry over the pot.
- While your potatoes are cooking, trim and score the fat on the chops. Rub the chops all over with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of oil to a medium high pan. Add the chops and cook until a rich, brown colour forms on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes (if you're using thicker lamb chops, this could take up to 10 minutes).
- Turn them over and cook for a further 4 to 6 minutes until you get it to your preference. Set aside to rest before carving.
- Place your asparagus tips into a bowl with some olive oil, salt and pepper and toss. Place into a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- When the potatoes are boiled and steam dried, add them back into the pot with the cream, butter, salt and pepper. Mash until creamy with no lumps. Add in the chopped chives and mix. Taste and season more if you like.
- Using the same pan that the chops were cooked in, add shallots and garlic on a medium heat, until softened and browned. Add the blueberries and cook until softened. Add the red wine and reduce by half the amount. Taste the sauce and if it is too bitter then add some sugar to sweeten.
- Time to plate. Place the mashed potato into the center of the plate and shape into a circle. Add the asparagus and the sliced lamb chops on top. Drizzle the sauce around the plate and serve. Enjoy with a nice glass of your favourite red wine.