Authentic Homemade Creamy Hummus
Light and creamy homemade hummus
- 400 grams Chickpeas drained
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 80 milliliters Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 medium Lemon juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons Tahini
Wash the can of chickpeas thoroughly and put them in a pot with boiling water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Keep a few chickpeas for decorations at the end.
Boil for 10 minutes. This will help loosen the skin on the chickpeas and break the firm texture down.
Drain the chickpeas in a colander and shake to remove the skins.
Place the skinless chickpeas in the blender with the garlic, lemon, tahini and blend until smooth.
Slowly add the oil until you get the desired consistency. I think hummus should be thick and creamy in order to eat it with crudités and pick it up with bread.
Taste and season with salt, if it needs it.
Place your hummus in a bowl and drizzle olive oil over it and sprinkle with cumin and your favorite spices. Enjoy!
- Serve in a bowl and top with extra virgin olive oil and garnish with some cumin, paprika and some solid chickpeas.
- Some people prefer more garlic and tahini, some prefer less. Make the hummus to your own preference. I personally like garlic and tahini so I add more.
- Try it with different breads such as a nice soft white bread.
Calories: 417kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 11gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 286mgPotassium: 380mgFiber: 9gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 27IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 75mgIron: 4mg